Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stop-gap job

I like the jargon. 'Stop-gap' has a distinct tinge to it; like we're trying to make something look better or cooler than it actually is. Here I am, having rejected what most fresh engineering grads consider as 'an amazing break' at Mphasis ( one of the leading IT firms in India) only because I do not want to be tied down by a two year bond ( I intend to start my post grad studies this fall). Now I'm thinking, was that really a smart move?

I can't really say; because last time around, I was dead sure that I will start my post grad studies at Nottingham last , only to find out that a delayed security clearance from the UK-FCO (ATAS) would spoil my chances. Whatever the reasons, just because their website claims to process your application within 10 working days, it isn't safe to assume that applying two months in advance is a safe deal.
I am now faced with one of the only feasible 'stop-gap job' options - the BPO, or more commonly known to most Indians as a call center.
Pros :
> Easy to find one
> Decent pay (can save up for a Mac RAM upgrade)
> Transport provided
> They don't really care if people quit after half a year. They have an entire new generation of youth coming out of college desperate for jobs at about the time that I plan to quit.
Cons:
> Odd working hours
> The "Oh, you work at a call center!!!" syndrome
> Future prospects if worst case, I can't make it for a masters this time around

Bottomline, having looked at other options for the last couple of months, other than direct sales, I don't see another feasible option for now.

Just hoping some of the applications for higher studies that I have made come back with positive results soon. That should make decisions a lot easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment